Sometimes I buy patterns as soon as I see them then sit on them for years. The reasons vary. Distraction, procrastination, perceived fitting problems. For this pattern it was the latter. I would look at that wide not-sitting-just-right neckline on the model and know that it would be the same on my square shoulders and think 'I'll tackle it later'. I've finally made it up because I had a vision of it made up in some rediscovered stash voile. My daughter sometimes makes me laugh by walking around saying "It'll work - I have a veesion!" Well the vision spoke and I got out the voile, the pattern and the drafting tools. I narrowed the neckline slightly and was contemplating putting in bust darts. Then when playing around with cutting layout I realised my material had a very obvious oneway design and I my not have enough material. I was going to do a self lining, at least for the bodice. (I did a green gauze lining for the upper skirt only). A solution to both the bodice fitting and layout problems occurred to me. I redrafted the bodice with princess seams and shortened the bottom skirt layer by 4 cm. At the bodice back I added CB seam and did a sway back adjustment.
One mistake: I did not put in a zip. I had planned to put one in the CB, then forgot to incorporate a CB seam in the skirt. Gah! So I did a muslin of the bodice to see if I could pull it over my head without a zip. I could. Yes! But it was a different story when I added the skirt and lining layer. I can get it on and off but I've perfected a spectacular yoga move of throwing the skirt over my head and wiggling my bust then shoulders out. Needless to say if I make this dress again I will do a back zip. Lesson learnt! Anyhow, it's been a while since I had a truly flowing dress. I enjoy wearing this one. Photos taken by friend in the city.
I did narrow topstitch from the skirt corners to the hem to give them a bit of definition.
The redrafted front bodice.
I like it so much I am making a knit version. We'll see how that goes! But I'm off to work now. It's a pity it has to intrude on my sewing & social life.
Edit Update: Re the knit version the voluminous skirt drags down the bodice so I would not recommend. A knit skirt attached to a woven bodice might work, but for now I am moving on to other projects.
Stash used: Two floral material lengths, cotton for skirt lining. Stash pattern.
Progressive stash tally: 9 out, 1 in.
In the midst of all that's happening,
Stay safe people.