Thursday, 25 February 2016

Simplicity 1366 top made from a nightgown


I've made the Cynthia Rowley top again, from a white lace nightie. I'd been given a white cotton old-world style nightie that had been doing the rounds of the women in my family. It was a beautiful thing but no one wanted it until it landed with me, still with its price tag swinging on a gold pin. I kept it for a year or so trying to figure out how I could refashion it using the lace panels in a balanced way. Then I had the light bulb moment of incorporating the lace bands into the body and the sleeves using this pattern.






The moment of no return..


The side seams became sleeves


The gap was filled with a self drafted insert




I ended up with a lace T shirt that I like very much. after I finished I had to make two extra horizontal pin tucks on the bottom edge of the sleeves to shorten them a bit but luckily it sort of added to the design. I'm glad I waited until inspiration struck. The unloved nightie is unloved no more.

Have you ever had a successful refashion? It takes a different thought process doesn't it?

Happy Sewing,

Val.

6 comments:

  1. Pretty! I love repurposed garments - although in my case they're usually wadders in fabric I want to keep :-) What nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about to do that with a dress that didn't work. I hope it will be a wadder to winner..

      Delete
  2. I love it! It makes me want to find a nightgown to remake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun looking through vintage clothing shops..

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely refashion. Your new top looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How brilliant that is, Val, and so on trend. White with lace is so popular these days, and I never get around to trying the trend. Your outfit looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete