Monday, 15 April 2013

Material Conversations

Dear Readers,

This is my fourth month of using stash, only stash and nothing but the stash.  I have decided to try to ease up on my pattern purchases as well and if I get an idea for a garment but already have a pattern that is similar, I try to modify the pattern instead of buying a new one. Having an extensive pattern collection helps and it also doesn't hurt to have access to an excellent local library that carries Burdastyle magazine.
For a while now, I have had my eye on Tessuti's Lily Dress.  link here
It reminded me of this Style pattern that I have had forever..Does 1998 count as vintage?

Modifying the pattern wasn't hard. I brought the edge of the shoulders in a bit, extended the length of the sleeve and added an elbow dart and one vertical dart, eliminated the diagonal seam from the body of the dress, shortened the dress by 6 inches and was ready to go.

What fabric could I use from the stash? I had some lovely teal pure linen that is too good to use on an experimental garment. I had some chambray that had washed up too crackly and did not have enough drape. I had some smoky blue linen/lycra blend that could do. I am going through a 'blue' phase so the colour was appealing. I knew the material was slightly too thick and springy but nothing ventured nothing gained so I preshrank it then laid it out and cut..

The material kept saying ha ha you will end up with a Very Plain go-work -the-feilds Olde Worlde Dress.
I kept saying no I won't. You will be casual, winter-beachy with the slightest arty edge.

I worked, I tweaked, I fiddled with the fit, fiddled with the sleeves, fiddled the square pockets which weren't working and re cut them into rounded off ones. I trimmed the outer corners of the skirt and put in hemline pleats, then added some more.  
I fiddled with the length from too long too short, to just right (with heels).

The dress said "I've won".

I said "No, you haven't".

Either way, I love you. Thank you for the inspiration Lily.
Detail shot:

How are you all doing?

Friday, 5 April 2013

Burdastyle Dress with Flounce 2-2013-128

Or A Quick Little Dress

Hello people,

I am still madly tracing off all the things I like from February 2013 Burdastyle. I had my eye on the gathered raglan sleeve trio. Number 126 has short sleeves, 127 has long sleeves and a slightly longer body to match and then there is Number 128, the dress with the flounce. On the line drawing it looks like the flounce might be too much with the gathers but in reality it's not. It works and is a gratifyingly quick project. link to line drawing

There it is. Made from stash material was an unexpected find at Lincraft last year, a nice quality beefy but not too heavy mystery knit that was well behaved even under the coverstitcher.

p.s. Check out Sigrid's 2-2013-106 Jacket from the same issue. Isn't it exquisite?

Have a good weekend,


Thursday, 4 April 2013

Bag from Recycled Jeans

Dear Blog Friends,

The Happy Recipient

The Story

A couple of weekends ago when Sydney was having it's No It's Not Autumn Yet heatwave I drove down the coast to go to a lovely Sunday craft market that is held once a month at one of the coastal schools. Their grounds overlook the ocean - can you imagine?

I spent a lovely afternoon talking to artists and photographers and second hand clothing stall holders and to an old lady that makes bags out of recycled jeans and decorates them with shells. I'd already bought a few things, been given free apples, almost bought a seascape .. but best of all this lady gave me inspiration for the stash. I already had shells and zippers and D- rings.

I told my daughter about the bags and she said "Oh Mum can you make me one?" I said "How big and what shape?" She wanted me to replicate a favourite bag, a simple square with a zipper and rings at the corners and a clip on strap.

Now I had made lined bags before with magnetic snap closures. I had never made one with a zip and a lining and tabs with rings. I searched through my bag patterns and searched the net.
I found a good tutorial here which was helpful for the basic idea. The rest I figured out while flying by the seat of my pants. The How I Did it Review for PR link here.

We were going shopping then out for lunch. DD emptied her other bag and used this one straight away.  
Can't get better validation than that.

The front was made out of the seat, the back from one leg cut open. Lining was blue floral cotton from the stash.  Strap recycled from an unused strap from a travel bag. Zip pull recycled from yet another worn out bag. I've been collecting bag bits for a while. I purchased the round nickel rings from the jewellery section at Spotlight. Broken seashell charm came from my beachcomber shell collection.

I hope this is not making me sound like a pack rat. I'm not ... really ...

Happy sewing everyone,