Friday, 12 July 2013

V1212 The Crazy Coat

Dear Readers,

Have you ever wanted to just whip something up and totally underestimated the scope of a project? Done alterations on the hop? Forgotten what a pain in the ass any velvety material can be? I have. Here is proof.



 This is the Vogue 1212 Sandra Betzina zip up coat/jacket pattern from a few years ago, made up in crazy material bought on impulse even more than a few years ago. I am looking silly-happy with it because I am happy with it. I'll do the usual grim and gory detailed Pattern review in a day or two but all I will say is that this coat was a slog to get finished. I omitted many of the details from the pattern to let the fabric speak - no folded overlay on the end of the sleeves, no darts in the collar, (Variation A) no pocket zips, no front placket. I did interline the whole coat to stabilize the thin material.


The pattern has sizing issues IMHO but I'll go into that more when I write up the review.


The back band gets swallowed up in my material but I can live with that. I love the coat and it feels lovely on. I'll be wearing it on Monday.
They'll see me coming and going.


Have a happy weekend,

Val.

21 comments:

  1. Its lovely Val, and the fabric looks very luxurious to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing coat and can understand the joy even with the problems, very cheeky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks stunning - so hopefully the joy of wearing it will exceed the pain of making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so crazy - fun! :-)
    And I notice you have "boots-time" in Australia, but I bet you have a warmer day than we have. We ought to have summer, but it's fog and rain today :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies and Rune, yes it is boot weather, but I haven't remembered to get out my gloves yet..I am wishing you some sunshine, weeks of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks stunning. One of my favourite things about sewing is when I manage to achieve a comfortable and unique garment, and you've done a great job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not crazy at all! It looks stunning! I love the fabrics you chose. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful coat -- the fabrics are fantastic. Looks great with boots and jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so hot here - it is hard to remember that you are now getting cooler coat and boot weather. However, it is a lovely coat made with some very fetching fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous coat. It reminds me of the 'crazy' coats I saw in France that cost about 400 euros.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love your coat, Val. It is unique and fabulous, and I'll bet you feel a million dollars in it! This is the perfect weather for coats and boots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again thank you Jean and Liza Jane, Kat and Merche..
    Rosemary Yes it's all upside down here. I envy the summer tops and dresses the northern hemisphere sewists are making.
    Gail I know! Crazy Desigual coats from Spain too!
    Patricia, Thank you and yes I am glad to have something someone else is unlikely to do..unless they have their own piece of this material hidden deep in their stash!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm crazy for your coat :-) I thought it might be the Koos ven der Akker Vogue 1146 at first, but the lines weren't quite right. I'm going to do the latter this fall in just as crazy prints. Like you, just can't help myself... Great coat, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco. I had to hop over to PR to look up V1146. Whoa there is potential there for big crazy!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for your nice comments on my crochet wardrobe . Just found your blog and it really looks interesting. I'll be following it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome also to Shams. You know I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your coat is stunning. Great fabrics and the colors are wonderful for you. We've had two "cool" days so I am able to look at coats without a cold drink in my hand.

    ReplyDelete